Erin Popelka is a reader, writer, and the founder of Must Read Fiction. Her short stories and essays are forthcoming from Puerto del Sol and Santa Monica Review and have appeared in The Threepenny Review, Berkeley Fiction Review, and Main Street Rag, among others. As founder of Must Read Fiction, she facilitates an online community of readers, including author interviews, book recommendations, and free book giveaways. She lives in the Pacific Northwest.
That’s the official bio. Here are a few more fun facts about me…
I make stop motion movies! It’s a skill I picked up during the pandemic. Here are two of my efforts:
- COVID Unfolding: A Love Story. Looking back one year later, this film reflects on where I was when the pandemic shut everything down in March 2020 (hint: I was traveling to two major cities on the East Coast!), which is also part of the story of my queer identity and my marriage.
- What is Compost? A Story for All Ages. I made this 3-minute video for small children, but all who are children at heart can watch, too. What compost will you make today?
Books I read over and over again:
- All the King’s Men by Robert Penn Warren
- Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
- Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
- Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
- Matilda by Roald Dahl
Things I do when I’m not reading or writing:
- Keep my dog busy. He’s a springer spaniel, so it takes some doing.
- Exercise: either CrossFit, swimming, or aerial silks. I’ve never done all three at the same time, but maybe one day…?
- Get outside with my spouse (and dog, see above).
- Knit. I’m quite proficient at knitting socks.
If I could only eat three foods for the rest of my life (and not have to worry about the effects of malnutrition):
- Trader Joe’s Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups.
My favorite question to ask others: What novel do you wish everyone would read?